The goal of the digital piano is to simulate the traditional upright piano without the hefty weight and lack of portability. It is important to experience the feel of the keys as if you are playing the authentic piano.
Digital pianos, acoustic pianos, organs, and electronic keyboards can be weighted in 4 different ways. These include; not-weighted, semi-weighted, hammer action and graded hammer action type. These, mixed with the different types of touch sensibility available, can contribute to the overall feel of reality when playing a keyboard as compared to an upright or grand piano. You will be reading next are the different types of weighted keyboards that are featured on keyboards sold in the market today.
The different types of weighted keyboards:
- Not weighted Keyboards.
Non-weighted keyboards include most home electronic organs and pipe organs commonly found in churches and recital venues. Other non-weighted instruments are accordions and entry-level keyboards are usually aimed for a beginner. Today, most professional keyboards claim to be weighted in some way.
- Semi-weighted keyboards
This action is common among the budget-end keyboards and keyboards designed for portability. A spring-action key with more resistance than the usual in budget-end keyboards.
- Hammer action keys
When we say that a digital piano or stage electronic piano has “hammer action” keys mean that the key mechanism is in some way replicating the same action found on acoustic pianos. In this type of keyboard, the resistance comes from a small hammer located and attached by a lever system near the key, not in a spring. Manufacturers offer different types of hammer action simulation nowadays and they seek to add more realism to high-end models.
- Graded hammer weighting keyboards.
There is more resistance encountered in playing keys in the lower range than the upper range on acoustic pianos. Keyboards with “graded hammer weighting” or “progressive hammer-action” will deliver heavier touch on the low notes of the instrument and lighter touch on the higher notes. Keys made from wood compared to plastic delivers a real piano feel, that is why some manufacturers make high-end models out of these.
Top 5 of the Best Weighted Keyboards of 2018
(1) Yamaha DGX-660 88-Key Graded Hammer Action Digital Piano
This contemporary digital piano gives aspiring pianists a fun way to enhance their learning experience. With this, players can feel what it is like to play with a band and sound like a pro. It gives aspiring pianists a better way to enhance their experience.
- The Chord tracker application takes full advantage of this wireless technology. It allows you to playback songs from your IOS device song library wirelessly through the DGX-660’s speaker. It analyses the audio songs stored in your IOS device and then displays the chord symbol to you.
- This piano offers a world-class concert grand piano sound.
- This features an authentic piano touch, 88-note weighted GHS keyboard. Yamaha Graded Hammer Standard (GHS) keyboard offers a weighted action with heavier touch in the low end and lighter touch in the high end, similar to the hammers inside an acoustic piano.
- Its Damper Resonance feature digitally reproduces the vibration between strings on acoustic pianos.
- It features an Easy-to-read score and lyric display. Its crystal-clear LCD can be switched to sore or lyric display, showing you notation for any MIDI song that the DGX-660 is playing.
- The highly acclaimed Live! Cool! And sweet1 Voices feature a unique blend of long, stereo and multi-layered samples that capture the importance of each instrument, right down to genuine resonance, expression, and vibrato.
- This unit can record performances or MIDI songs as uncompressed, CD-quality to a USB flash drive using the Audio Recorder. It has a USB Audio Recording/Playback feature. You can copy songs to your computer to make CDs and share over the internet.
- The Smart Chord feature makes you sound like a pro, even if you are just a newbie. Smart Chord will create entire chords from simple Pop triads to complex jazz 7th and 9th chords with just a single finger on your left hand.
- With the Style Recommender, you find styles quickly and easily when you know how the music should feel, but don’t know which style is perfect for the part. Just play a few notes in the rhythm of the song you want to perform and let the Style Recommender offer a list of matching Styles.
- You can let your mobile music device be heard.
(2) Casio Privia PX-770 Digital Console Piano
The world-renowned Casio Privia family of digital pianos grows with the PX-770. It is designed to bring a true grand piano experience in a slim, modern design. With its authentic piano sound, natural feel and impressive features, the PX-770 is a superb instrument for inspiring brilliant performances.
- PIANO PURITY. The PX-770’s AiR Sound Source includes a beautiful new stereo grand piano which comes alive with realistic damper resonance. It simulates the entire body of the instrument, not just the strings.
- WELL-PLAYED. The popular Tri-Sensor II Scaled Hammer Action piano keys give you the expression your performance needs. The Privia’s simulated ebony and ivory textures give you an authentic and comfortable touch. It is combined with an innovative hammer action that is accurately scaled across the entire key range.
- WELL-HEARD. The Casio PX-770’s convenient features include a powerful stereo amplification system.
- WELL-EDUCATED. With the PX-770, you can connect two sets of headphones using the ¼” jacks on the front panel, making ideal for a quiet practice.
- WELL-APPOINTED. Using the PX-770’s two-track MIDI recorder, you can record your performances. There are 60 songs included in the built-in Music Library.
- WELL-DRESSED. The piano is designed to compliment any décor. It is available in black, oak or white finish.
- WELL-CONNECTED. The Pravia connects along class-compliant USB to any PC, Mac, iOS or Android device with no drivers or installations needed. The free Chordana Play for Piano app which is available for iOS and Android devices gives you complete control over every function in your piano.
(3) Yamaha P-115 88-Key Weighted Action Digital Piano with GHS Action
If you’re looking for the best-weighted keyboards with 88 keys that also has plenty of digital functionality, do not look further than this addition to Yamaha’s popular P-series line.
- The Yamaha P-115 has included the sound of Yamaha’s renowned CFIII 9’ concert grand piano and is faithfully reproduces, resulting for incredible dynamics and expressiveness making Pure CF-equipped digital pianos worthy of the Yamaha name.
- Yamaha P-115 series are authentic to touch. Perfect for aspiring pianist, playing on GHS action builds the proper finger technique for when the time comes to perform on an acoustic piano. The matte finish of the black keys is less slippery.
- The tweeter position of the Yamaha P-115 has been improved to be in line with the ears of the performer. This new feature and configuration assure that the instrument sounds sparkle and come alive across the entire tonal range.
- The P-115 offers a variety of rhythm patterns which are on-board the keyboard for practice or performance. You can use the rhythms for an additional element of fun to your practice.
- This digital piano is loaded with a variety of rich Voices, from pianos to electric pianos, organs, strings, bass and more. These Voices can be augmented by four different reverbs that you can adjust.
- With the Yamaha P-115, you can sound like two players all by yourself by using the Pianist Styles feature.
- It has a Digital Piano Controller application that allows you to control many functions included in Yamaha digital pianos with your iPhone or iPad.
- The AUX outlet jacks allow audio to be sent to an external amplifier during live events, parties, and presentations. Just power-up and get connected.
- With the Yamaha P-115, you can conserve energy with the convenient auto power off feature. The auto power off shuts down the instrument after a period of inactivity.
(4) Korg LP-380 Lifestyle Digital Piano
The Korg LP-380 Lifestyle Digital Piano offers an authentic grand piano experience in a slim design that adds style to your home. It provides a brilliant piano sound in a low-profile and slim design. The flat-top cabinet looks classy even when the key cover is closed. Its high-output amplifier and speakers flawlessly reproduce a realistic piano sound, while Korg’s flagship RH3 keybed enables expressive performances.
The prestigious Korg LP_380 digital piano features the highly acclaimed RH3 keybed, is built in Kyoto, Japan. They are made by craftsmen with the experience and expertise gained from producing some of the highest quality digital musical instruments available.
- Slim and stylish design
- A top-quality musical instrument made by an expert craftsman in Kyoto, Japan
- Rich and compelling acoustic piano sounds that are enjoyable to play
- High-output amp section produces plenty of volumes
- RH3 (Real Weighted Hammer Action 3) keyboard
- Reduced chassis, package size, and weight
- Three-pedal design with half-damper support
(5) Kawai ES110 Portable Digital Piano
The Kawai ES110 Digital Piano combines a new graded hammer key action, new speaker system and 88-note piano sampling to offer an unbeatable piano experience in a low cost, lightweight portable instrument.
- the ES110 digital piano applies Kawai’s acclaimed Harmonic Imaging Sound Technology, featuring 88-key piano sampling, to create its impressive piano sound.
- The feel of the Kawai ES110 is superb, thanks to the Responsive Hammer Compact (RHC) Weighted-key Action, an 88-note, graded hammer action with outstanding feel and sensibility.
- BLUETOOTH®. With the standard MIDI ports feature, the new Kawai ES110 digital piano brags integrated Bluetooth MIDI technology, allowing the digital piano to communicate with supported smart devices wirelessly.
- Lessons and Exercises. This digital piano feature songs from Alfred Publishing’s most popular first-year children’s method book.
- Song Recorder. The Kawai ES110 offers an easy to use 3-song built-in Recorder which is ideal for self-evaluation or capturing a moment of inspiration
- Optional Stand and Pedal. The piano’s optional designer stand attaches to the bottom of the ES110 to create an elegant look suitable for any décor.
- Jacks and Connections. The Kawai ES110 comes with MIDI jacks useful for other musical instruments, computer, and other device connections. It has an audio Line Outputs for connecting with an external speaker system.